Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sprung

You know spring has sprung in NW PA when its time to dig leeks! Digging the pungent wild "onion" is right of passage for many and foraging in the forest for them after a long winter is a simple pleasure. The blue wild flower knows a good thing as it cozies up to my aromatic friend. Apparently leeks are also known as ramps in other parts of the country and for those who envision the grocery store version when a leek comes to mind haven't got a clue! Leeks are infamous for their odor. Garlic breath has nothing on leek breath! Well loved, but forgone during the work week as not to offend. There are 2 kinds of people - those who love and those who hate leeks - never met anyone in between. Everyone clamours to make dip and at the Stinkfest in May variety abounds in the leek dip contest. My ham leek potato soup hit the spot as I began running a fever the day after my quest and am still recovering (with the help of antibiotics). Leek chili will be on the menu this weekend and maybe a meatloaf to freeze to enjoy when the all to brief season of leeks is over. Grab a shovel, a bucket, and go get dirty!

2 comments:

Peg said...

Do you know what those beautiful blue flowers are? They don't grow near the leeks in MY woods! Are they a type of anemone?

Lovely, whatever they are!

NikonSniper said...

Hello,
Yes I look at as many as 50-80 new blogs a day. The more photographs I see the more impact people have on me and new ways to see things.
Your site may be neglected but it isn't boring. Keep in mind that you see your photograph subjects possibly every day. It may seem boring to you but certainly not to me.
There are two photographs that are very different that I really got a kick out of on your blog. This is one of them. This is absolutely beautifully soft probably due to it being a cloudy day or heavily covered by trees, or both.
The second photo I loved was the M&M building on seventh avenue. Very cool with movement of the lead taxi and the twist in angle helped grab some very interesting perspectives. Just imagine that photo taken straight up and down ... and then you will see how much would be missing.
Boring seems to like beauty ... completely in the eye of the beholder. I got on a plane and flew to Australia to photograph birds and butterflies and anything else different. It was on a beach in Northern Australia that I fully realized that there was still some majestic in the ready for harvest corn fields of the midwest or the northern cardinals and bluejays that populate my yard. Somewhere our everyday experiences are very different and only you can report on the happenings via photography.
I am so glad you wrote. Wish you luck in the drawing in a few more days.
All the best,
NikonSniper Steve